Why should you take commerce as career option in 2020?
That’s absolutely okay if you are still confused & hoping between various career options. But, whether you take commerce, science, arts or any other career option you should be comfortable with the subjects.
For example – If you are the one who is more likely to come up with creative ideas & you are better in thinking creative. So, selecting career in science would absolutely be a big no.
Now, before starting with should you take commerce as a career after 10th?
Let’s first begin with how would you decide for your career?
It would take another blog in detail to explain it, but succinctly, “You must sit with yourself on a daily basis”. It may sound simple or maybe even spiritual. But it is very important to arrive to a clear decision about one’s own strengths & weakness so that it becomes easy to clear the confusion in the mind regarding the various career options. Will try to cover this whole topic in detail in next blog.
But, as of now let’s take the topic “Should I take commerce as a career option & what are the various options after opting it?”
Here, I would try to keep it as simple as possible by simply putting the type of people who are confused between commerce and some other option. So, if you are confused in choosing commerce as career option read this blog till the end. Let’s first understand what is commerce?
What is commerce?
Commerce as a stream of education can be defined as a study of trade and business activities such as the exchange of goods and services from producer to final consumer. The main subjects that are taught in the Commerce stream in Class 11 and 12 include Economics, Accountancy and Business Studies. Choose this field if you have a genuine interest in these subjects and have an affinity for numbers, the economy and business.
The important subjects taught in the school curriculum of 11th and 12th are Economics, Accountancy, and Business Studies. Students are advised to choose this field if they have an affinity for numbers and have more interest in business and economy.
Subjects in Commerce after 10th
- English – Will mostly include fiction and non fiction lessons and you will be expected to answer questions from the stories you read in your textbooks. Additionally, there would be some letter writing, essays, article writing, note making etc – the basic you need to know to work in an office later on.
- Mathematics – Will include topics ranging from algebra, trigonometry, geometry and all topics you later in life. Why do I say later in life? Because you will definitely feel as if these topics are useless for commerce, but trust me – you’ll need those concepts in CAT or GMAT (provided you are serious about pursuing a career in commerce/business)
- Accounting – Accountancy is a branch of mathematical science that is concerned with the financial information about a business entity to users such as shareholders and managers. The financial communication that is studied under the subject is generally in the form of financial statements that show in the terms of money the economic resources under the control of the management.
- Business Studies – A subject essentially to be applied in your whole life.it will introduce you to the concepts of marketing, finance, organizational behavior and business world. From now on to MBA – to consulting or investment banking – you’ll essentially be going deeper and deeper into these concepts introduced now.
- Economics – This subject which will teach you why the world works in a certain way in very simple terms. You’ll learn what is demand, supply, their interplay, the business systems, consumer behavior, production concepts, cost concepts and everything in between.
Professional Courses after 12th if you choose commerce
The main subjects that are taught in the Commerce stream in Class 11 and 12 include Economics, Accountancy and Business Studies. Choose this field if you have a genuine interest in these subjects and have an affinity for numbers, the economy and business.
- Chartered Accountancy
- Bachelor’s course in Economics
- Company Secretary course
- BA Courses
- BFA Courses
- BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration)
- BMS (Bachelor of Management Studies)
- Integrated BBA + MBA program (5 years duration)
- BHM (Bachelor of Hotel Management)
- Retail Management (Diploma)
- Bachelor of Interior Designing
- Bachelor of Design (Accessory)
- Design (Leather)
- Textile Design
- Product Design
- Furniture and Interior Design course
In 2018, 2.67 lakh students had opted for commerce, which is quite huge in number. Reason, for so many students opting for commecre is because of the varied career options it has & the growth which it offers.
If you have the passion of starting your own business in future or want to work as Marketing / Finance Analyst in Top MNC’s then commerce is surely a right career option for you.
Below, I have listed few of top famous personalities who had taken commerce as career option :-
- Mr. Kumar Mangalam Birla (Chairman – Aditya Birla Group)
- Mr. Deep Kalra (Founder & CEO, Makemytrip.com)
- Mr. VSS Mani (Founder, CEO, MD Just Dial)
Besides, these three above mentioned personailities there are quite many people who had started their career in commerce & now they are in peak of their careers.
Hope this blog helps you to decide for the right career path.
Also, if you haven’t checked our previous blog on Top Finance courses to do in 2020 check out it here